When you are looking for pet cremation options you should be able to count on superior care and excellent service. We at Albuquerque Pet Memorial Service in Albuquerque, New Mexico are the only family owned and operated facility in Albuquerque and have assembled an expert team of cremation professionals to bring you the best possible after care for your pet. We have a state of the art facility which is clean, comfortable, and efficient. Call (505) 550-4793 to inquire about our facility and services and we will find a time that is convenient for you.
Urn Pricing: When it comes to selecting an urn there are many factors to consider:
- Healthy weight of your pet
- Metal, wood, ceramic, hand-made, sealed or not sealed, temporary (scatter box), or keepsake (such as necklace, bracelet, or custom shaped urn). Keep in mind that keepsakes are only meant to hold a minimal amount of ashes.
- Engraving, Brass Nameplates, or Photos
Knowing your options in selecting your urn will help alleviate some of the stress when it comes to the loss of your beloved pet. Pricing can greatly vary depending on your selection(s). APMS offers a free temporary urn with private cremations. These urns are also called scatter boxes and are called this due to the lids being removable (perfect for a home burial or scattering the ashes).
General pricing on urns for pets can range from $9 to $200 depending on customization and size of urn. Our team at APMS can help you in selecting urns based upon your needs. In the meantime, visit our Pet Urns page to browse a few of our most popular selections. We have many urns available, and in stock at our facility, that are hand-made and locally purchased (each urn is unique). We, at APMS, take pride in supporting our local Albuquerque businesses!
Cremation Pricing: The cost of pet cremation is dependent on 2 factors:
- The live weight of your pet
- The type of cremation
There are three basic types of cremation (general pricing information is based upon average costs for pets less than 200 pounds):
- Individual/Private Cremation-This type of cremation is when the pets are cremated individually but with other individual pet cremations in the same chamber. The pets are separated in the chamber using bricks and are expertly placed as to not mix any 2 pets together. The owner receives remains (ashes) for their pet, and their pet only. This type of cremation is the most popularly used and generally priced between $100-$250.
- Communal Cremation-This type of cremation is a mass cremation where many pets are cremated together and disposed of by the facility. The owner does not receive any remains back. This is the least expensive option for cremation ranging between $35-$100.
- Witness Cremation-This type of cremation is when a pet is the only pet inside the cremation chamber, and is a true private cremation. The owner is generally present for the entire process and receives the remains (ashes) the same day. This process can take an average of about 3 hours. Pricing for this type of cremation is generally the most expensive and can range between $250-$400, or more.
The Cremation Process:
During the process, a pet’s body is placed in a cremation unit and subjected to high temperatures up to 1400-1800 degrees Fahrenheit. Thus, the intense heat and vaporization reduce the organic matter to dust and dried bones. Next, the surgical, pins, rods, tags, broken pieces of collars, and other metal objects are removed from the remains with the help of a magnet or manual inspection. Finally, the cremains are pulverized to get a coarse sand-like powder with uniform consistency. These ashes are then poured in a sealed plastic bag and returned to the owner via the requested urn preference/selection. Having received the ashes you may choose to scatter, store, or bury them. The cremated remains are usually pale white in color. However, the color may vary due to certain medications or health issues. The weight of the cremation ashes also depends on the weight and bone structure of your beloved pet.
The time for cremation depends on the type of pet you have. For instance, cremation of smaller animals such as birds, mice, rabbits, hamsters, does not take long. On the other hand, larger animals like horse, large breeds of dogs, etc. are cremated in hours. On an average cremation of a pet may take 45 minutes to two hours, or more.
Due to the fact that APMS will have many cremations performed in a single day, our time frame for cremation is 3 to 5 business days. During that time frame we will contact the owner via the information that was taken at the time the pet was received. Once contact is established with the owner an appointment is made for return arrangements.